ViewWorld is a small private company with an explicitly social profile and strong partnerships with a number of humanitarian organizations, e.g. the Danish Red Cross, WWF, Grundfos. The company have been collaborating with NGOs and inspiring them to move away from pen-and-paper / Excel-based data collection processes into mobile data monitoring and evaluation of their projects. Our client’s goal is to provide their customers with flexible and easy-to-deploy/use solutions for gathering and managing data via smartphones and other mobile devices.
The client, who supports corporations in effective acquisition of goods and services from emerging markets (Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe) through an end-to-end global sourcing process, was looking for an effective and efficient solution to consolidate their operations and to execute their sourcing projects via an online platform.
In 2012 ViewWorld commissioned Selleo to develop the version 2.0. of their system and, in doing so, work on the following system components:
- an Android client
- an iOS client
- a backbone.js web front-end
- an API back-end in Ruby on Rails
APPROACH AND PROCESS
We joined the Vieworld product team and started the collaboration by delivering technology consulting services on the tech stack and the architecture to be applied to build the SaaS platform and the suite of apps. We also jointly agreed to use an agile / iterative approach to the software solution development. We very much enjoyed the close relationship established between the ViewWorld product team and the Selleo development team which allowed us to collaborate both effectively and efficiently. In practice, direct collaboration was centred around regular weekly meetings conducted via skype. It is during such meetings that we managed the high-level scope of the project, the lower-level milestone backlogs as well as milestone acceptance activities. We started implementation with the web service and moved on to Android and iOS app development in later projects stages. Working together as a close-knit team was definitely a factor behind the solution delivered to serve people and organizations in monitoring projects through mobile data collection.
The ViewWorld SaaS platform is meant for NGOs, associations and businesses which are involved in data collection and management. The suite of apps helps organizations to document and publish the results of projects that are based on real world data collection. The data is displayed on the web platform in real time and is instantaneously available for further modelling via desktop software.
The platform consists of a web application as well as native Android and iOS mobile apps. The system enables NGOs and other organizations to:
- foster timely, effective and reliable collection and transfer of information from the field to the decision-makers in the organizations,
- monitor project output,
- get real-time information on project activities and project progress,
- document and report on where and when volunteers were active,
- measure performance indicators,
- aggregate ‘reports’ on web maps,
- save time and improve reporting transparency through easy access to GPS-coordinates and varied data formats (e.g. texts, videos, images, etc.),
- generate statistics on the different types of activities over time and space,
- create more awareness with the public and other stakeholders regarding the work that their organizations deliver.
MODULES AND FEATURES
- the Reporting App, which is used to collect data and save drafts,
- the Web Console, which enables the user to design forms for data gathering projects, add other users and groups and import data from spreadsheets,
- the Feed Service, which can be used for feedbuilding and exporting data to spreadsheets.