Choosing a high-quality mobile app development company is vital to boosting ROI and guaranteeing an optimized end product. Mobile apps are forecasted to generate over $600 billion in revenue by 2025 as B2C and B2B companies leverage advances in smartphone technology and general accessibility.
Mobile app development is, therefore, crucial to the next generation of digital marketing and overall business prospects. Building a first-rate application is a vital requirement in 2022 and beyond. Without one, attracting new customers or employees will get exponentially harder as time goes on. Multinational companies such as Uber and Deliveroo prove the profitability of a scalable, user-friendly, and genuinely innovative mobile app.
The development process demands astute decision-making across numerous variables. Businesses must choose between low-code or custom software development and various other factors. Mobile app developers are plentiful, but choosing the right one may be more challenging than you think.
Keep reading for a comprehensive exploration of everything you need to know about choosing app development companies and optimizing your approach. At Selleo, we have the tools to help businesses leverage highly scalable mobile applications with profitable ROI and custom solutions. Our development teams have built applications featured in Forbes and TechAdvisor, among others. Get in contact to see how we can help after you’ve read our breakdown of how to find a mobile app developer.
Table of Contents
What Is A Mobile App?
Rudimentary mobile applications existed before the advent of smartphones, but the majority were native to the mobile phone brand. This all changed when the iOS and Android operating systems became widespread. Businesses could create their own applications for customers and employees, enabling access to services without conventional websites or computer applications.
Generally, a mobile app has a relatively limited number of features tailored to the service your business provides. The goal is to provide your customers or employees with all the tools they need in one place. It’s essentially like a computer program but condensed into an optimized smartphone format with touchscreen, geolocation, and camera-based functionality, among others.
Types of Mobile Applications
- Native apps: Businesses searching for highly customizable features build Android and iOS native apps via integrated development environments. It can cost more but delivers scalable and extremely malleable software solutions.
- Encapsulated applications: This app type uses low-code development techniques such as drag-and-drop tools to rapidly create mobile applications. The limitations make it unsuitable for complex app development, although it can be effective when simple and fast solutions are necessary.
- Progressive web applications: Also known as PWAs, progressive web applications are browser-based pieces of software that replicate the conventional mobile app experience. Examples include Flipboard and Canva.
What Is Mobile Application Development?
Mobile application development services are similar to the standard software coding approaches used in website creation and computer-based apps. iOS and Android are the two dominant platforms. Almost all app development companies focus on these operating systems.
Optimizing features in line with smartphone elements such as motion control, geolocation, speedometers, or step counters is a key mobile app characteristic. Carling’s iPint app from 2008 is a famous yet very simple example. It used the iPhone’s advanced motion sensors to accurately emulate a pint being drunk as you tilted the phone to your mouth.
Why Develop A Mobile App (Business Drivers)
Companies hire mobile app developers like Selleo to boost ROI, overall profitability, and market position. Creating a market-leading mobile app can help business prospects in various ways. Here are some of the most salient:
- Innovation: Mobile applications are increasingly used to signal innovation. For example, companies can use advanced software capabilities such as AI, augmented reality, and cloud services to solidify their position as industry leaders. An advanced mobile application is the way to go if you want your business to be seen as an important innovator.
- Help employees: It’s not just customers who benefit from mobile app development services. Backend B2B and SaaS mobile applications can streamline day-to-day work practices, freeing more time for pertinent activities.
- Enhance customer engagement: Optimizing your mobile app development strategy will pay significant dividends regarding customer engagement and overall relationships. Offering customers a highly personalizable app with several useful and unique features will naturally increase their loyalty, ultimately delivering higher profits and ROI.
- New revenue funnels: Mobile apps are advantageous ways to open new revenue funnels for your business. These platforms offer new ways to sell your customers products or services.
Costs of Developing A Mobile App
Mobile app development costs vary depending on the software building technique. As a general rule of thumb, the more complex your app, the more expensive it will be. We’ve listed a few common examples below:
- No-Code: Basic apps can be developed using free tools such as Shoutem, Appy Pie, and BuildFire. You don’t need any coding language knowledge to use these. The process is quick and easy, albeit very limited.
- Low-Code: Enterprise apps are commonly created using low-code drag-and-drop tools like Microsoft Power Suite. Generally available on monthly subscriptions, they can be available from around €50 per month.
- Mobile Optimized Website: Businesses looking to convert a preexisting website so it’s optimized for mobile platforms can complete the job for approximately €100 using content management plugins.
- Custom App: Complex mobile applications using custom software development can vary in price depending on the intricacy of the necessary features. Businesses can expect to pay at least €200,000 in these scenarios.
How to Choose a Mobile App Development Company
Choosing the right software development company is integral to long-term satisfaction and positive ROI. We know the importance at Selleo, which is why our development teams consistently liaise with clients to create the best and most tailored product possible.
A few common tips for finding an optimal custom software development company include:
- Researching their portfolios
- Examine previous client references
- Ensure the developer is genuinely interested in your proposal
- Appreciate the entire package from start to end, not just the coding element
- Don’t choose primarily by price
- Seek to establish an authentic relationship
Mobile App Development Process
Each web development company has slightly different methods, but the mobile app creation process can generally be split into several basic stages:
- Strategy: This stage is where businesses hone in on their idea and explore their intended market, competitors, and target audience. Meanwhile, the web development company decides on a platform, tech stack, and how to implement the feature requirements.
- Analysis: Next, businesses do precise analysis to further formulate the app idea and framework. A product blueprint and roadmap will be available after this.
- Design: The design stage is where you can flesh out the user experience, visual architecture, aesthetics, and more. Designers use wireframes and mockups to create app prototypes.
- Development: This is the main development stage. App features and layout are implemented using a chosen tech stack, generating a complete front-to-back mobile application ready for testing.
- Testing: Before deploying apps on a large scale, businesses use quality assurance specialists to check everything works perfectly, and there are no errors or bugs.
- Deployment: When companies are happy with the final product, it’s time to deploy. You can roll out your app using the App Store or Google Play store and focus on marketing techniques to widen your audience.
- Maintenance: Deployment certainly isn’t the end of the road. You’ll need to keep a constant eye on your mobile application to fix glitches, make consistent improvements, and implement new features.
Mobile app development is a fundamental part of modern business in the digital age. Establishing your business’ required app type is the first step toward creating a product. Custom software applications require a mobile app development company, and choosing the correct one is vital to create positive ROI and lasting customer relationships.
Get in touch today, and let’s start the mobile app development journey together!